7-Keto and Weight Loss
7-Keto is the registered name for 3-acetyl-7-oxo DHEA, a stabilized version of 7-oxo DHEA which is a natural metabolite found in the body. As with all DHEA's, 7-Keto declines in the body with age and by age 40 some may experience up to a 40% drop in levels of 7-Keto in the body. 7-Keto has a correlation with cortisol in the body as the body produces more cortisol; it cannot produce as much 7-Keto. This correlation is caused by the fact that both cortisol and DHEA use the same enzyme system, HSD1 and HSD2. Therefore, high cortisol levels can affect the levels of 7-Keto in the body.
This is something to watch for as 7-Keto has many benefits that include:
- Promoting weight loss without the use of stimulants (three times more weight loss than with just a diet and exercise alone as shown by studies)
- Compensates for age-related decline in 7-Keto DHEA production
- Compensates for cortisol-induced reduction of 7-Keto
- Reduce tissue levels of cortisol by reducing local conversion of cortisone to cortisol
- Improve memory
- Reduce alcohol cravings due to activity in GABA receptors
- Augment immune response in the elderly and subjects under stress
- Alleviate depression caused by chronic stress
7-Keto is very effective in weight loss when combined with exercise and a nutritious calorie-restricted diet. In the first randomized, double-blinded, placebocontrolled weight loss clinical trial in 1999, 30 adults with a mean BMI of 31.9 was randomly divided. One group was given 100mg of 7-Keto twice a day, the other a placebo. They both were put on the same exercise regimen and 1800 kcal diet for 8 weeks. The results showed that weight loss in the experimental group was three times that of the weight loss in the control group. More importantly, these studies confirmed that more than 80% of the weight lost was fat. In a similar study done with 7-Keto and a calorie-restricted diet, the results showed a diet like this with 7-Keto produced a statistically significant (5.4%) increase in daily RMR (resting metabolic rate) when compared to only a calorie-restricted diet. Altogether, these studies show that 7-Keto added to a reduced-calorie diet with an exercise regimen can increase weight loss exponentially.